CAMP BREKKY BARBECUED BURRITOS
You can follow our favourite breakfast burrito recipe, or choose your own adventure, customising this dish to your taste buds. You can even use up those leftovers in the fridge. The sausage can be swapped out for any leftover meats, grilled veggies or even tinned beans. This breakfast will fill you up for a day full of adventure.
- 4 pork sausages
- ½ onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 4 large flour tortilla wraps
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the barbecue for direct cooking over medium-high heat (210°C-250°C) with a Weber frying pan or hotplate.
- Lightly coat the mushrooms with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove the sausages from their casings and discard the casings. Add the sausage mince to the pan or hotplate and cook over direct high heat, with the lid closed, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. While the sausage mix is cooking add the mushrooms to the cooking grill and grill for 6 minutes, turning as needed. Once cooked, remove the cooked sausage and mushrooms from the heat and set aside until required.
- Add the sliced onions and olive oil to the pan or hotplate. Sautee over direct high heat, with the lid closed, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes, or until caramelised. Once cooked, remove from the barbecue and set aside.
- Reduce the heat of the barbecue to direct medium heat. If your hotplate (if using) has a build-up of debris, quickly refresh the plate with a metal spatula. Add the butter and eggs to the pan or hotplate, scramble over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, stirring occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove the scrambled eggs and pan (if using) from the barbecue once cooked.
- Slice the mushrooms. Assemble the tortillas; fill with the scrambled eggs, sausage, onion, grated cheese, sliced mushrooms, chopped tomato, avocado, hot sauce, season with salt and pepper. Don’t overfill as you will need to roll up the tortilla tightly into a burrito.
- Brush the cooking grill clean with a wire brush. Place the burritos onto the cooking grill, seam side down first, grill for 4 minutes over direct medium heat, rotating every minute, or until golden grill marks appear.
- Slice in half and enjoy.